CHOOSING YOUR REIKI TEACHER
Many people feel a natural pull towards learning Reiki, and the first starting point to learning Reiki is to find a Reiki teacher. Choosing the right teacher can be for some the hardest thing to do.
There are so many Reiki teachers out there. And not only are there many teachers, but also many different styles of Reiki.
The first thing to remember, is that you have either felt a natural pull towards Reiki or decided that you would like to learn Reiki for the benefit of yourself or maybe others. This will help because no matter the reason, because you have consciously decided to learn. With that conscious decision the Reiki energy will help you find the right teacher, so most important of all is to trust your intuition.
Some people find that they don’t really have to look very hard to find their Reiki teacher. They stumble upon one with such significance that there is no question it was meant to be!
Talk to anyone who you might like to learn Reiki with. On the phone, or ideally face-to-face. Choosing your Reiki Master Teacher is a very personal decision. The one thing you do need to make sure of is that you have a connection with them. You need to feel confident that your Reiki Master Teacher will support you, not just throughout the course, but throughout your Reiki journey.
There are some important points to consider when choosing a Reiki teacher.
• A dedicated Reiki teacher will not only be teaching Reiki but will also be practising Reiki. If they practice Reiki on a regular basis, they will always be evolving and teaching from experience.
• Reiki Teachers should have a daily self practice, this should involve self healing, energy exercises and meditation. The teacher should always be looking to cultivate their own energy, so they are energetically ready to be able to create the right environment to help you reconnect to the natural energy of Reiki.
• A devoted Reiki teacher should be willing to provide a life long learning environment, such as Reiki shares and Reiki workshops. Or even just be willing to be contactable by phone or email, should you have any future questions.
The above points are signifitcant, because it is not the length of time teacher has been attuned to Reiki that is important, but more so the length of time they have been practising Reiki on themselves and others. For example, a person attuned to Reiki 20 years ago, and now has decided to teach 20 years later may not be as energetically experienced as someone who has learnt 3 years ago but has dedicated every day since practising Reiki.
Before you embark on your Reiki journey you need to be clear about what you expect from your training. There are some questions below that you may want to ask your Reiki teacher. Not all these questions will be of immense importance to you, but consider the ones that are and make sure you’re satisfied with the information you get from any potential teacher before you enrol on a course.
- How long will the training course take and what will it cost?
- How big are your classes?
- What will I learn on the course?
- Where will the course take place?
- What system(s) of Reiki do you teach?
- Are there any assessments during or after the course?
- Will I get a certificate on completion?
- Do you provide course notes, or a manual?
- Will there be support available after the course? i.e. will I be able to telephone, email, text, to ask questions and clarify what has been covered on the course?
- Do you hold regular Reiki share sessions which I can attend after the course?
- Are you a member of any regulatory bodies?
- How long have you been practising and teaching Reiki?
- Do you use Reiki in your daily life?
Another point to consider is how the Reiki teacher will teach. The ability to adapt to your needs is important. How people work with energy can be different with each individual. Allowing plenty of time for practical experience is extremely important. This is where you will gain confidence with working with this amazing and beautiful energy. Reading from a manual or teaching Reiki from an entirely theory based teaching, will not give you the same confidence to work with the energy.
Finally, remember that the most important tool in choosing the right Reiki Teacher for you is your instinct. If you are eager to learn Reiki and have come across a Reiki Master teacher but it just does not feel right to you then, as hard as it may be, wait.